Fully updated 2nd Edition – Now Includes Apple Macs and Macbooks!
It doesn’t matter whether you use a Windows PC, an Apple Mac, a tablet or a phone – they can do great things, no doubt about it. From shopping online to keeping in touch with friends and family miles away… to all sorts of other things.
But there’s one big problem – how often they go wrong.
Imagine this: you’re happily using your PC (or phone or tablet) to browse the internet, email a friend or look at some photos your son or daughter has put up for you. Then, it happens…
You click the button you’ve clicked dozens of times before, just as usual…
Or tap on the screen like you always do…
Or start an app you use all the time…
Only this time it doesn’t do what it’s supposed to. Maybe it does nothing at all or maybe it does parts of what it should do, but not all. Or maybe it does something completely different.
Confused? Frustrated? I’m not surprised…
You’re confused and frustrated – after all, you did what you’re supposed to! But the dratted thing didn’t keep its part of the bargain!
Or sometimes maybe you’ve even slipped and done something wrong by mistake… knocked the wrong key or clicked on the wrong option (it’s easy to do)… but now you can’t see how to put it right… maybe you’ve no idea how you even got it wrong… or maybe you do know, but can’t see how to change it back again.
That’s what our newly-updated edition of the book, Technology Help is at Hand, is for. Once you have it, it’s simple. Have a quick glance at the contents page, turn to the page listed and follow the simple, plain English, step by step instructions there. That’s it.
There are even pictures of the screen showing you where to click to make it obvious what to do.
The book covers problems with Windows PCs and laptops, Apple Macs and Macbooks, tablets (iPads and Android types), smartphones… and one or two other techie things, too.
Imagine you’re using your computer, tablet or phone and something goes wrong, misbehaves or doesn’t work like it normally does.
For example, if your screen suddenly starts displaying everything upside-down (I know, it seems unlikely, but it can and does happen!), pick up the book and look at the contents page. Flick through that and turn to page 49. It tells you exactly what to do, in plain English – and seconds later it’s sorted!
The biggest problem…
You see, the biggest problem people have with using all these devices often isn’t just how to do the things they want to. The problem is things that go wrong – settings that get changed, things that stop working… problems that aren’t your fault, basically! But even though they aren’t your fault, you still need to deal with them. And unless you know what you’re doing, they aren’t obvious…
Or what if you’ve found your tablet, PC, mac or phone has got slower over the years – you’re not imagining it, it really does happen. But you can reverse the signs of ageing. See the 8 possible reasons on pages 29-34. Hardly anyone knows about number 5 – but if that’s the cause of yours, then doing what the page says can reawaken a lethargic device in a few seconds! (If only I could reverse my grey hairs as easily – but I think those are due to having two children…)
For example, you probably didn’t know about:
- The two dead simple tricks that sort out nine out of ten “crashes” on a computer, tablet, or phone. (Number 1 is the easiest – but number 2 is not far off). Page 12… and one slightly more fiddly one… and the drastic one for when all else fails (p14).
- How a thumb can make your tablet screen dark and hard to read. Sounds daft, but it’s happened to me. More than once! Page 42.
- At home I’ve got a PC with a really good quality mouse. And I’ve got a nice-ish (though not terribly pricey) desk. But the mouse simply won’t work on that desk. I use a special kind of mouse mat, not the kind you normally see advertised. Mine cost me just under 1p – but works better than almost anything else I’ve ever used… page 54.
- Two reasons why replacing your printer cartridge can actually stop your printer working. Easy to fix once you know how though. Page 63.
- If your phone or tablet won’t charge, this slightly weird tip can get it charged and back to working normally – by NOT plugging it into the mains. Page 73.
- Some people say you should do this every month – I must admit I only do it when I have a problem – useful if your phone or tablet battery charge runs out really quickly. Knowing this saved me from replacing my phone. Page 74.
- If you were the designer in charge of making a new phone, would you design in a setting that stops almost everything working? Well, these guys did. It kinda makes sense, once you know about it. But if you don’t, and accidentally end up with it turned on… well, it’s not so much a phone as an expensive paperweight. Page 70.
That’s not all, of course, there’s also:
- “Accidental Roaming” – it sounds like something I might do after one too many pints of Black Dog Freddy in the local. It’s not, though, and if you have a mobile phone it could cost you a tidy sum if it happens to you. Page 112.
- You’ll be gob-smacked to hear that some broadband companies will offer you really fast broadband speeds with small print that says “not really” (OK, not in those exact words – they make it more complicated so it’s harder to understand). Here’s how to check if this is happening to you. Page 126.
- Why warming up baby milk can make your internet slow (and it’s not just baby milk) – page 127.
- If you ever completely forget the password for your device, you’ll be glad to have chapter 13 to hand. Please don’t, though – even with chapter 13 it won’t be fun. A lot less fun without it, though.
- Why the reason your photos are out of focus might be nothing to do with the lens – it might be something you need to do with the screen instead. (Odd, I know). Page 225.
- It sounds like some kind of weird adventure story – “the curse of the wiggling photos”. It might happen to you and it’s easy to fix, though. Page 225.
If you have this book, the answer to any of these problems, crises or sticky situations is simple: Turn to the relevant page and follow the easy step by step instructions.
Don’t worry if it seems like a lot, though. You don’t need to read every page. Just know that it’s there when you need it.
Is it suitable for you?
The book is suitable for you if:
- You have a desktop Windows PC or Apple Mac, a laptop or Macbook, a tablet (iPad or Android) or a smartphone (iPhone or Android).
- You’re not a complete tech whizz who can fix everything yourself anyway (if you are a real tech whizz, you don’t need the book!)
Though, having said that, I learnt some new things from working on this book – problems I wouldn’t have known how to fix if they’d happened to me… but now I do, so I won’t panic if they happen!
Your PC, mac, tablet & smartphone problems solved, for less than half a tank of petrol… or a decent pub meal for two
The book covering how to easily fix problems with your PC, Mac, tablet or smartphone is just £24.99 (and £2.99 P&P per order, regardless of how many books you order). For now, at least (we reserve the right to increase the price at any point in the future). More than some of our books, it’s true – but then it’s 312 pages and covers Windows PCs, Apple Macs, phones AND tablets, all in one book.
And don’t forget, the book will still be making your life easier in a year’s time, or more. (Unlike the petrol or the pub meal…)
Picture all the frustration and difficulty you get when something goes wrong on your computer, tablet or phone, or it just won’t work like it’s supposed to… then imagine all the problems just disappear and everything works properly again.
In fact the advice in this book has saved some people from going out and buying an expensive new replacement device, when I told them how to sort out their existing one. Good value indeed!
But don’t take my word for it: All you need to do is say “maybe”
I would say the book’s great, of course! So you don’t have to take my word for it.
Order yours on free trial now, and you don’t have to pay a penny until you’ve got the book, had a look at it and agree that you want it (otherwise send it back and owe nothing).
The “risk” is all ours, not yours. That’s as it should be.
So there are 4 reasons to act now:
- PC, mac, tablet and smartphone problems solved, quickly and easily.
- Everything explained clearly, in plain simple language and with pictures of the screen showing you exactly what to do and where to click.
- You don’t have to pay anything unless you’re happy with the books. Otherwise, simply send them back and owe nothing.
- Best not put it off until another day and risk forgetting or losing the email… simply click to get yours on free trial now (or call 01229 777606)
And one more big reason…
An end to pulling your hair out every time your devices do something they shouldn’t (or don’t do something they should)… and an end to worrying about whether it’ll work properly, without any mishaps, woes or crises this time every time you turn it on (because you know if it does misbehave, you can sort it out quickly and easily).
One more thing I should say
This new, updated version of the book isn’t in stock yet – it’s away being printed as I type. The books should be here in a week or two. But if you order now, you’ll get one of the first copies, as soon as they’re ready.
(And it also means there’s no chance of us running out before you get yours… I’m not expecting that, but it has happened before!)
Best act now
Don’t put it off and risk forgetting. Just click here to order online (no credit card needed – remember you don’t need to pay anything until you have the books) or give Emma, Jade or Alicia (or one of the rest of us if it’s busy) a call on 01229 777606. We’ll get your books in the post straight away.
The Helpful Book Company
Who knows when a technology gremlin, catastrophe or crisis will strike next – best order yours on free trial now so you’re prepared and you can just brush it aside. Call 01229 777606 or click the button now.